I became a member of Slimming World in August 2016 and I haven’t looked back since then. To date, I’ve lost two stone and nine pounds on the plan. I have just under twenty pounds to go to get to my target weight and I’m really proud of my progress so far!
Since a lot of people tend to join the group at this time of year, I thought it might be useful to share what I’ve learned so far. To start, I’ve listed below things I think everyone should know before joining. I’m by no means an expert on the plan but I’ve really gotten to know (and yes, love!) it over the past five months. I plan on sharing similar posts throughout this month so be sure to keep an eye out for them!
1. Walking in to your first group meeting is the scariest part of all…
Just be brave for ten seconds and get in there!
2. It will cost you (but it’s worth it).
€9 registration fee (you can sometimes get free vouchers in newspapers and magazines) plus a €9 weekly fee.
3. New members are always warmly welcomed.
The consultant will give a talk specifically for new members at every session.
4. You get a really decent starter pack.
It’s worth taking the time to sit down and really go through it.
5. Maybe scratch number 1 because stepping up on the scales for the first time is kind of terrifying.
But you can make it so that you never have to see that figure on the scales again.
6. Everyone in the room is there for the same reason.
There’s a huge variety of people in every group but we all share a common goal.
7. You have to stay for group.
Well, you don’t have to but you really should. It’s great for advice and encouragement.
8. You’ll get so much support.
There are private Facebook groups and texts from your consultant plus weekly group sessions.
9. Pasta, potatoes, chocolate and even alcohol is all allowed.
Within reason, of course!
10. It could actually change your life.
Sounds clichéd but it’s true!