Chicken, chips and chunky veg all with a tasty kick…I’ve always loved a Spice Bag takeaway! Naturally, now that I’m on Slimming World, I had to find a way to have it while still staying on plan. This is a super simple version which is great because it’s so quick and easy to put together. It doesn’t contain the breadcrumbs that are typical of a lot of Spice Bag recipes so it’s not an exact replica but it is totally Syn free and pretty delicious and satisfying too.
You could experiment with different salts and spices but I came across this all-in-one bottle in the supermarket and I think it works really well. Schwartz’s Thai 7 Spice blend contains — amongst other things — chilli powder, ginger, star anise and cayenne pepper. It’s so handy and as it only costs around €2.50, you can’t really go wrong with it!
Syn-Free Spice Bag Ingredients:
- 3-4 whole potatoes
- 2 chicken fillets
- Fry Light
- Schwartz Thai 7 Spice Blend (or just use a mix of your favourite spices)
- 2 peppers (any colour)
- 1 onion
1. Start with the chips. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.Peel and slice up the potatoes and put them over a medium-high heat in a pan of salted water for about 8 minutes.
2. While the chips are simmering, dice the chicken fillets and toss them in a tablespoon (or two!) of the spice. Spray a frying pan with some Fry Light and add the chicken. Once all the pieces are cooked through, take the pan off the heat and set aside.
3. At this stage, the chips should be ready for the oven. Drain well and shake them in a colander to roughen them up a little. Line a baking tray and spray with Fry Light. Spread the chips out evenly on to the tray and spray again with Fry Light. Add a generous sprinkling of the spice and pop in to the oven for 30 minutes.
4. Slice the onion and peppers in to decent-sized slices and toss in a tablespoon (or two…!) of the spice. Cook in Fry Light in a medium heat for about ten minutes.
5. As soon as everything is cooked, throw it all together and enjoy!